Who transcribe?
  • In Krystian's thread, transcribers were assumed to be translators, but I think translation and transcription are very different tasks. First of all, transcribers don't need to be bilingual. Native speakers of the source language would be more suited for the task and making translators transcribe may not be a good use of translator’s skill and time. Probably you should recruit volunteer transcribers separately from translators, although I'm not sure whether you can get enough number of volunteers. Any ideas?
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • I think that there would be some people who won’t do translation if they also need to do transcription, and some people who can’t do translation but are willing to do transcription. You don’t need to bundle transcription and translation.
  • Current TED translators would be basically English to X language translators (native speakers of X, in many cases). We need some different roles for TEDx subtitles:
    * English transcriber (for English talks)
    * X language transcriber (for X language talks)
    * X language to English translator (preferably native English speaker)
    * English reviewer/copy editor (preferably native English speaker)
    If you can and are willing to do all of these, it’s great. Nothing prevents you from doing so. I just thought that TED might be better to recruit these types of volunteer contributors too.
  • Yes it can be possible, but they also should read Krystian's thread. Also who will establish contact between transcribers and TED?
  • Aoky-san, what I meant was, from talking with a few people at TEDGlobal, I got the impression that in most cases, translators will also work as transcribers. And it makes sense if you think about it - a subtitle translator's job (outside of the OTP) is ALWAYS partly spotting the subtitles and doing all of the work that I described in the transcribing guide - just with an extra step. When I translate subtitles, half of the time I don't get a script or a dialog list, but I just listen to the movie and do the subtitles. All the "compression" skills are also the same when you're transcribing or translating subtitles (I mean in subtitling, generally - there's less compression in TED transcripts than usual). So transcribing is actually an easier job for the subtitle translator. Bearing all this in mind, I do think it's natural for a subtitle translator to also work as a transcriber.
  • Again, subtitle translators, people with a specific set of skills (and I don't mean "OTP volunteers"), are all able to do transcriptions. Not just any kind of translators. And I mean subtitling professionals, not just anybody who works for the OTP, because in that population, there is no shared skillset like that.
  • Yes, I agree. Like I said, I was talking about the subtitle translation industry in general, not the OTP translators. The OTP translators are volunteers who don't have to have the typical skillset of a professional subtitle translator. Transcribers could be recruited from among subtitle translators - but I don't specifically mean OTP volunteers. Just any kind of subtitle translators with the usual skillset and experience, which includes all the skills necessary for transcribing talks. These could be recruited (as volunteers), for example, through sites like proz.com. OTP translators could be made aware of this recruitment, but they would need to go through all the steps like everyone else (I envision something like asking for a resume and for a sample transcription of a short video that they are presented with - just the regular kind of recruitment in the language service industry).