Translating Ben Goldacre: Battling bad science
  • Hi everyone,
    I need an opinion.
    If you've watched "Ben Goldacre: Battling bad science" would you translate the big "WTF?" at 09:40? At least in brackets so that people watching can understand what it means and why people are laughing at the same time.
    It's not that elegant, but it's there in English and it's the speaker style.
    I won't translate if nobody is doing it in other languages.
    Thanks
  • 7 Comments sorted by
  • Hello everybody,

I think it's great that we discuss these issues.

I'm not translating that talk either, but in such cases I usually do what Nafissa said. Generally, there is already a word for word equivalent, but it just uses different letters.

Thanks,
    Verónica
  • Hi Anna, we are just discussing that. I'll let you know as soon as we come to a conclusion.
  • I am not translating this talk, but usually I do translate words/phrases that appear on the slides which induce audience reaction. I put them in brackets. And in this case I would translate WTF, of course not word to word, but choose equivalent of it in my language in this given connotation.
  • Hi Anna,

I've reviewed the translation to Portuguese a few days ago and realized that it might in fact be weird for the somebody that doesn't know what WTF means. But since it wasn't in the English transcription, we've overlooked it.

Maybe the right thing would ask the TED team to add something like [WTF = translation] to the transcription.

Take care,
    Rafael
  • agree with rafaeleufrsio, most people who don't even speak english still know several dirty english words, thanks to movies and other media....
    Instead, he made the joke"but, and this is a big but(butt)!" apparently only one guy laughed as i can heard and i was hesited to translated it (into Chinese), cuz even most people sitting there didn't laugh along with that one. Still I used a chinese slang to imply that joke, he is a comedian/doctor right, so guess we should leave the way he is, we translate, but no judge.
  • Hi Anna,
    I finished the translation of the talk you are working on now, and I don't tend to translate these phrases. I guess that putting the explanation in the brackets is fine, but it is also quite visible from the slide itself, and intonation of the speaker already justifies the laughing part. Just my opinion.
    Jelena
  • I didn't catch the joke on "but" when I translated it to Danish. In Danish but translates to "men", a word that besides meaning "but" also means "harm" or "injury". So his joke or point was translated anyway.